Learn more about moral issues involving the end of life, and share your knowledge with others. For more resources check out the Archdiocese of St. Louis’s Respect Life Apostolate’s webpage: www.archstl.org/respectlife.
Suggested Funeral Readings
The Scriptures appropriate for use at Catholic Funeral Liturgy are in a booklet entitled, "Through Death to Life," by Joseph M. Champlin. You will be offered one of these booklets when you meet with Bereavement Committee planning the funeral. From this booklet, you may select the prayers of the Mass.
For your convenience, the list of readings follow.
Readings for the Liturgy of the Word for the Rite of Christian Burial are divided into three parts: a selection from the Old Testament; a selection from the New Testament; and a Gospel.
During the Easter Season, the Church offers a separate set of New Testatment readings that replace the Old Testament readings used outside of the Easter season.
Click on the reading to review it before making your selection. After you have decided, make one selection from each the Old Testament, the New Testament, and a Gospel. Note the reading number (found on the upper left corner of the reading) on your worksheet.
Old Testament - 1st Reading
New Testament - 1st Reading during Easter Season
New Testament - 2nd Reading
- E-1: Romans 5:1,5-11 "...We were reconciled to God through the death of his Son..."
- E-2: Romans 5:17-21 "...through one righteous act acquittal and life came to all..."
- E-3: Romans 6:3-9 "...if we have died with Christ, we believe..." (Long)
- E-3: Romans 6:3-4,8-9 "...if we have died with Christ, we believe,,," (Short)
- E-4: Romans 8:14-23 "Those who are led by the Spirit of God are Children of God"
- E-5: Romans 8:31b-35,37-39 "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
- E-6: Romans 14:7-9,10c-12 "This is why Christ died and came to life"
- E-7: 1 Corinthians 15:20-28 "In Adam all die, so too if Christ shall all be brought to life." (Long)
- E-7: 1 Corinthians 15:20-23 "In Adam all die, so too if Christ shall all be brought to life." (Short)
- E-8: 1 Corinthians 15:51-57 "Death where is your victory?"
- E-9: 2 Corinthians 4:14--5:1 "The one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us..."
- E-10: 2 Corinthians 5:1,6-10 "We would rather leave the body and go home..."
- E-11: Philippians 3:20-21 "He will change our lowly body..."
- E-12: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 "If we believe that Jesus died and rose..."
- E-13: 2 Timothy 2:8-13 "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead..."
- E-14: 1 John 3:1-2 "Beloved, we are God's children now..."
- E-15: 1 John 3:14-16 "We know that we have passed from death to life..."
- G-1: Matthew 5:1-12a "The Eight Beatitudes"
- G-2: Matthew 11:25-30 "come to me . . . and I will give you rest."
- G-3: Matthew 25:1-13 "Look. The bridegroom comes. Go out to meet him"
- G-4: Matthew 25:31-46 "Come, you whom my Father has blessed"
- G-5: Mark 15:33 ---16:6 "Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last" (Long)
- G-5: Mark 15:33-39 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Short)
- G-6: Luke 7:11-17 "Young man, I say to you, arise."
- G-7: Luke 12:3-40 "Be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect,..."
- G-8: Luke 23:33-43 "Today you will be with me in paradise."
- G-9: Luke 23:44 -24:6a "Father, I put my life in your hands." (Long)
- G-9: Luke 23:44-46,50,52-53 "Father into your hands I commend my spirit" (Short)
- G-10: Luke 24:13-35 "Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer..." (Long)
- G-10: Luke 24:13-16,28-35 "Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer..." (Short)
- G-11: John 5:24-29 "Whoever hears my word and believes has passed from..."
- G-12: John 6:37-40 "All who believe in the Son will have eternal life..."
- G-13: John 6:51-59 "All who eat this bread will live for ever...."
- G-14: John 11:17-27 "I am the resurrection and the life." (Long)
- G-14: John 11:21-27 "I am the resurrection and the life." (Short)
- G-15: John 11:32-45 "Lazarus, come out."
- G-16: John 12:23-28 "If a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies..." (Long)
- G-16: John 12:23-26 "If a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies..." (Short)
- G-17: John 14:1-6 "There are many rooms in my Father's house."
- G-18: John 17:24-26 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me..."
- G-19: John 19:17-18,25-39 "Jesus bowed his head and gave up his spirits."